3 Tbsp Butter
1 Leek, sliced
2 stalks Celery, sliced
4 cloves of Garlic, minced
2 medium Russet Potatoes, diced
1/2 tsp Fennel Seeds, lightly crushed
1 Bay Leaf
1 tsp dried Parsley
1 tsp dried Dill
2 Tbsp Capers with Brine
1 Tbsp Tomato Paste
4 cups Seafood/Chicken Stock
1/2 cup Cream Cheese
1 cup heavy Cream
1 lb Salmon, cut in chunks
Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Melt butter in a big pot on medium high.
- Add the sliced leeks and saute for 3-4 minutes until they soften.
- Add minced garlic and saute for another minute.
- Add the sliced celery, lightly crushed fennel seeds, dried parsley, dried dill, the bay leaf, salt & pepper to taste, tomato paste the capers with brine & diced potatoes and stir it all well.
- Add the seafood stock or chicken stock and mix everything together.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then cover and lower heat to a simmer for about 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Once tender, use a potato masher to mash up some of the potatoes gently. You don't want them all mashed...just a few to thicken the soup.
- Add 1/2 a cup pf cream cheese and stir it well into the soup.
- Add the chunks of salmon, cover and allow them to cook for 3-5 minutes
- Add a cup of heavy cream and stir it in gently.
- Season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Lastly garnish with fresh chopped parsley and switch off the heat.